It’s that time of the year when the most iconic shake from McDonald’s is around for a few short weeks. Every year, from a limited time (the end of February through St. Patrick’s Day), people line up in the drive-thru to get this little pot of minty gold. Thankfully, if you’d rather not sit in a drive-thru line, the Shamrock Shake is a super easy shake to recreate at home. And this vegan Shamrock Shake won’t disappoint your taste-buds. Plus, this way, it’s available whenever you want it. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy a minty and cool treat all year round, especially during the summer heat?
I love being able to recreate fast food chain options into homemade versions that won’t break the bank and contain ingredients that you can pronounce. Plus, the Shamrock Shake only requires four ingredients and five minutes to make. This recipe is catered to vegans, but you can always substitute your choice of ingredients. If you live in Southeast Michigan I would highly recommend visiting Calder Brothers Dairy. They also have a ton of other great dairy products and they even have a farm you can visit! I used a dairy free ice cream, added mint extract for that wonderful minty favor and a few drops of green food coloring to give it that amazing green glow.
We’d love to hear from you and see your version! Whether you’ve made a vegan Shamrock Shake or a more traditional version, please share yours below.
- 1 pint of vanilla dairy-free ice cream (or regular vanilla ice cream if not vegan - I’d recommend Calder’s!)
- 8 oz of almond milk (other alternatives: soy, pea, or oat - or Calder’s dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract flavoring (or to your liking). Warning: A little bit of the extract goes a long way.
- 2-3 drops of green food coloring (to your liking)
- Mint cookies to add texture (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves as garnish (optional)
Whipped Cream (Optional)
- 1 - 15 oz can of coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- In a blender, add ice cream and milk until it reaches a consistency you prefer.
- Add mint extract and food coloring to your liking and blend again until mixed well. NOTE: For adults if you want an extra kick, I would recommend a creamy liqueur like Baileys.
- Pour into your favorite glass.
- Add whipped cream (method below) to the top with a maraschino cherry and sprinkles.
- Select a quality brand coconut cream and chill overnight in the refrigerator to harden. NOTE: Do not put it in the freezer.
- Scoop hardened coconut cream into a mixing bowl and leave any clear liquid behind.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer until light peaks form.